Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)


3 Months Ended
Mar. 31, 2022
Organization, Consolidation and Presentation of Financial Statements [Abstract]  
Crimson Midstream Holdings
Since February 1, 2021, CorEnergy has held a 49.50 percent voting interest in Crimson and the Grier Members have held the remaining 50.50 percent voting interest. Crimson is a VIE as the legal entity is structured with non-substantive voting rights resulting from (i) the disproportionality between the voting interests of its members and certain economics of the distribution waterfall in the Third LLC Agreement and (ii) the de facto agent relationship between CorEnergy and Grier, who was appointed to CorEnergy's Board of Directors upon closing of the Crimson Transaction. As a result of this related party relationship, substantially all of Crimson's activities either involve or are conducted on behalf of CorEnergy that has disproportionately few voting rights, including Grier as a de facto agent. After the working capital adjustment and paid-in-kind dividends, the Grier Members' equity ownership interest is 50.62 percent as of March 31, 2022.
Crimson is managed by the Crimson Board, which is made up of four managers of which the Company and the Grier Members are each represented by two managers. The Crimson Board is responsible for governing the significant activities that impact Crimson's economic performance, including a number of activities which are managed by an approved budget that requires super-majority approval or joint approval. In assessing the primary beneficiary, the Company determined that power is shared; however, the Company and the Grier Members as a related party group have characteristics of a primary beneficiary. The Company performed the "most closely associated" test and determined that CorEnergy is the entity in the related party group most closely associated with the VIE. In performing this assessment, the Company considered (i) its influence over the tax structure of Crimson so its operations could be included in the Company's REIT structure under its PLR, which allows fees received for the usage of storage and pipeline capacity to qualify as rents from real property; (ii) the activities of the Company are substantially similar in nature to the activities of Crimson as the Company owns existing transportation and distribution assets at MoGas and Omega; (iii) Crimson's assets represent a substantial portion of the Company's total assets; and (iv) the Grier Members' interest in Crimson in Class A-1, Class A-2 and Class A-3 Units will earn distributions if the CorEnergy Board of Directors declares a common or preferred dividend for Series A Preferred, and Class B Common Stock; among other factors. Therefore, CorEnergy is the primary beneficiary and consolidates the Crimson VIE and the Grier Members' equity ownership interest 50.62 percent (after the working capital adjustment and paid-in-kind dividends) is reflected as a non-controlling interest in the consolidated financial statements.
The Company noted that Crimson's assets cannot be used to settle CorEnergy's liabilities with the exception of quarterly distributions, if declared by the Crimson Board. The quarterly distributions are used to fund current obligations, projected working capital requirements, debt service payments and dividend payments. As discussed in Note 13 ("Debt"), cash distributions to the Company from the borrowers under the Crimson Credit Facility are subject to certain restrictions, including without limitation, no default or event of default, compliance with financial covenants, minimum undrawn availability and available free cash flow. Further, the Crimson Credit Facility is secured by assets at both Crimson Midstream Operating and Corridor MoGas, Inc. For the three months ended March 31, 2022 and 2021, the Company received $3.0 million and $6.7 million, respectively, in cash distributions from Crimson, which were in accordance with the terms of the Crimson Credit Facility.
The Company's interest in Crimson is significant to its financial position, financial performance and cash flows. A significant decline in Crimson's ability to fund quarterly distributions to the Company could have a significant impact on the Company's financial performance, including its ability to fund the obligations described above.